Friday, June 27, 2008

Day Two Hundred and Thirty-Nine

Rain clouds cover the sky keeping my room to a dim glow. The rain falls tenderly, a rhythm that has kept me asleep until now. I rise hastily to put on my clothes, grab my belongings, and rush to breakfast hoping the tea isn’t cold by now. The rustling around, chairs moving, and voices chattering can be heard as I reach the dining hall. Right on time the familiar greetings come, along with smiling faces accompanied by a handshake or hug, “Good Morning brother, Good Morning bhai!” I find my chair next to some friends, and we talk like friends do. The tea isn’t cold, but it could use some more sugar.

English class has me in the education building by nine, and my boys are already there running around. They pull out their pencils and notebooks with an appreciation that amazes me each time, the sincere appreciation of a child who knows the privilege it is to have the opportunity to learn. We finish up by ten, and thus marks the beginning of my studies.

The open air of the dining hall is a perfect setting to contemplate the journey I’ve been taking through my New Testament course. From time to time I glance up at the scenery before me, wondering how in a matter of weeks the rain has brought such life and greenery to the campus. Krishna delightfully disturbs me right at the usual time to ask if I would like more tea, I’ve had enough for this morning… and Revelation already has my mind in full swing.

It’s about forty-five minutes until lunch, and there is not much activity with all the boys in school. I take a stroll up to the watchtower, Bible in my back pocket; tuning my heart and ears to wait on what the message will be for this Sunday. My eyes fall on the right pages, I see it unfold before me, and that indescribable assurance let’s me know the word to be spoken.

Lunch comes and goes, and like a parent waiting for their children, I also wait for my boys to come home from school. I feel some frustration as my discipleship students have new schedules now, we are having a hard time coming together in the afternoon. It is short-lived frustration though, I think the majority of my ministry here at BTC has been outside of a classroom setting anyway.

Gyan, one of my close friends and students comes over to my staff quarter just before tea-time to chat. We discuss our strengths, weaknesses, and future. I look up to Gyan in a sense that he worries about nothing, he can shrug his shoulders and say, “God will take care of it.” I don’t think he has an ounce of doubt in him, and if he does his faith makes up for it.

More tea! And tea-time means that most of the boys will be home from school. I sit with my usual tea-time talkers and like usual we are the last to leave the dining hall. It’s not raining so much today, so cricket out on the field looks enticing.

It’s about an hour before my evening class, and I am still thinking about how great last night’s class went. We are wrapping up our study of Luke, and Jesus’ trial and resurrection had everyone silent. A silence that screamed breakthrough. I cannot even begin to explain the life change I have seen in these men. Three months ago they were on the street; drab, sick, no concern except for their next fix. Tonight they have life in their faces, rice in their stomachs and are fixated on the pure love and sacrifice of Christ our Savior. Handshakes all around after the final prayer, and as if it was the first time I am filled with a joy that is inexpressible…I am witnessing souls being saved and lives full of change.

Dinner is in the dark again tonight, mostly so the bugs don’t fall into our food as they swarm around the lights. I can honestly say that I have eaten more rice in the last eight months than I have eaten in my entire life. It’s definitely a part of me now, and a meal isn’t a meal without rice and daal.

Grab my flashlight and head back to the staff quarter alert as can be. I watch every step, I don’t feel like coming across a scorpion or snake tonight. Amit should be over by nine-thirty to practice keyboard in my quarters, he shows up on time as usual.

Thoughts of home and my friends bring me to my computer. A desire grows in me to let them know that everything is fine. That I am doing well, that I love them and that I wish they could see what I see, and experience what I experience. That just maybe they could catch a glimpse of a single day of my life here. I open my laptop, pray the power doesn’t go out, and put my hands to the keys….Day Two Hundred-Thirty Nine.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You teacher you! So exciting to hear the details. I could picture it all. I am amazed I tell you.

Mama Neece

Anonymous said...

Your writing is very much improved and heartfelt. thanks for your posts. Your return home will be bittersweet--I can really tell. Where your heart is, there your treasure will be. Manny...those to whom you minister are treasures you bring to the LORD and I am so thankful for you. Be encouraged Bro.