Saturday, June 07, 2008

Stargazer

Do you ever take a minute or two out of your day to look up at the sky? Do you ever bother to look up into the night and try to comprehend that our God placed each star in its place, that our Lord gazed upon the same constellations and splendor over two thousand years ago? That this place called Earth is not merely a stage that man’s wit and power is flaunted upon, but that it was handcrafted to accommodate you and I?

There is not a day that goes by that you won’t find me with my head in the clouds or my eyes turned skyward admiring the stars. Creation amazes me, no matter how familiar it has become. A mountain range jaggedly cut across a horizon, clouds of the purest white roaming across endless skies. The way an invisible wind can bring a breath of refreshment or a torrent of destruction. How the stars have witnessed every act of man since the beginning.

Since coming to India my eyes have been open to creation in a new way. The natural splendor of this country calls out to every person who is willing to hear it, and I believe that same call rings throughout our world (Romans 1:20). When I look at the stars I am put in my place; I am but one figure, in a minute world, a mere created being. Among the billions of stars and galaxies I am here, with you and the other 6 billion + people living in this world. To think upon the magnitude of creation and to know that we are just a drop in the bucket is humbling. But what amazes me even more is the love that our Maker gives us. That this seemingly insignificant planet has the full love, care, and concern of God. That He sees our coming and going, cares about each of our troubles or needs, sees our need for a savior and loves us with a love that creation could never match. "For God so loved the world…"(John 3:16)

A lot of my songs reflect God’s splendor and majesty, one bridge announces:
"You placed the stars in the sky and gave them reason to shine
and yet You choose to work through my life.
You tell oceans to part and seasons to start.
Oh, how You show me all that You are."

I leave you with a portion of what I call the "Stargazer Psalm"
"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge. There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard; their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the end of the world." (Psalm 19:1-4)

No comments: